Today’s post is by Dan Morris, Sr. Product Manager at Marin Software.
Several months ago, Facebook recognized an opportunity to provide advertisers with more efficient ways to reach and measure advertising ROI from target customers and introduced the Custom Audiences targeting option, which, according to Sheryl Sandberg, allows advertisers to “enhance their ad targeting by marrying their data with ours”.
Said another way, Facebook marketers can now target their existing leads and customers based on email addresses and phone numbers stored in their existing CRM databases. Custom Audiences provides marketers with a simple solution for targeting customer segments and measuring performance through the purchase funnel – from lead to sale to Lifetime Value. The new targeting feature has already proven to deliver click through rates and conversion rates higher than those from broad category targeting.
Here’s where you’d create a Custom Audience:
Once you have Custom Audiences configured, there are several ways they can be used strategically to provide segments of customers and prospects with tailored messages, at the times they are most likely to engage with or purchase from your brand:
1) Nurture Leads Captured on Your Website – If you have you are running email nurture program, you can run ads on Facebook to engage these leads with industry-related content that complements your nurture emails.
2) Retarget Users Who Have Abandoned Your Conversion Process – Did you know you can also use Custom Audiences to retarget your customers on Facebook? If you currently track website visitors who have abandoned your website during the conversion process, use Custom Audiences to retarget this website visitor segment on Facebook and bring them back.
3) Customize Creatives to Include Recently Viewed Products – Create Custom Audience segments for each buyer based on the last product they viewed on your website, and speak to each segment distinctly.
4) Drive Mobile Users to Your Brick and Mortar Location – Marketers can use Custom Audiences to geo-target customer segments into local retail stores using Unpublished Page Post ads containing a link to a downloadable coupon.
5) Reward Your Most Loyal Customers – Use Custom Audiences to retarget your loyal, high-value customer segments with Facebook ads containing offers, incentives, or messages letting them know you appreciate them.
6) Reach Friends of Your Current Customers – If you’re a Facebook marketer, Custom Audiences presents an opportunity to reach the friends of your current customers, who may share similar purchase preferences. For example, Disney could target the friends of customers who recently stayed at one of their resorts with a message highlighting the fact that they too can “have their dreams come true”.
– Dan Morris is a Sr. Product Marketing Manager at Marin Software, where he has worked since 2010. Dan has over several years of online marketing and client services experience in the agency and technology fields. Dan also holds an MBA from University of Massachusetts.