Meet the SMX Advanced Speaker: Jeremy Epperson
Published: June 7, 2017
Author: Kelly Whelan
We’re a few short days away from Third Door Media’s SMX Advanced, and the 3Q team is excited to announce that we have once again been given the the honor of sharing insights into today’s top digital marketing trends and best practices with the SMX audience.
Three of our own – Leslie To, Jake Favaro and Jeremy Epperson – will be taking the stage at SMX Advanced on Tuesday, June 13th:
- 11:15am – 12:15pm: Leslie To, Sr. Director of SEO – The Periodic Table of SEO Ranking Factors
- 1:45pm – 3:00pm: Jeremy Epperson, Director of CRO – Conversion Optimization: Turning Quick Wins Into Winning Streaks
- 3:30pm -4:45pm: Leslie To, Sr. Director of SEO – Mobile-First For The Advanced SEO
- 5:00pm -6:00pm: Jake Favaro, Account Director – Paid Search & Social: Twin Children Of Different Mothers
We sat down with each of our speakers to learn why SMX is such a powerful event for digital marketers.
Here’s what Jeremy Epperson, Director of CRO at 3Q, had to say:
- Tell us when you started at 3Q, your role at 3Q, and how that role has adapted since you came on board:
I run the conversion rate optimization team at 3Q Digital. I started with 3Q in January 2016; we started the CRO program around the same time. It had partially existed before but really ramped up in early 2016. Over time, we’ve dramatically improved the sophistication of our research methodology and produced big wins for every client we’ve worked with, typically in the range of 20-40% increase in conversion. Overall we’ve changed the dynamic in 3Q to be more focused in customer understanding and using data driven research to help optimization across all channels.
- You spoke at SMX West in March; what did you enjoy most about the conference?
I’ve been to so many conferences and to be honest, a lot of times I get bored. But at SMX, I thought the level of expertise and quality of sessions was top-notch. I was really impressed.
- For those who haven’t been to an SMX event, why should digital marketers attend SMX Advanced?
There’s a couple of reasons:
- Sessions are pretty packed with information, so attendees will get something actionable that they can take back to the office and implement right away.
- The opportunities for discussions and brainstorming with other people in the industry are really valuable. There’s not always a lot of time to do that on a daily basis; everyone gets stuck in trenches working in their business, and SMX is a great opportunity to think differently about how you operate. There’s a lot of great time in between sessions and during lunch and happy hours to get feedback from other top marketers.
- Going to a conference like SMX gets you really energized so you are excited when you get back to the office. I think this is one of the biggest benefits. You get all pumped up and there’s a ton of things you can take action on, and it totally re-energized and refreshes you.
- What will you be discussing during your talk at SMX Advanced?
My panel is called “Conversion Optimization: Turning Quick Wins Into Winning Streaks”. We’ll dig into the strategy and tactics behind how you produce ROI through your CRO program.
- Why should SMXers see your session?
Marketers have a tendency to focus on how they can optimize media. Unfortunately they don’t spend enough time on optimizing the onsite experience, which means they are leaving a lot of money on the table. You need a proven and effective system for how to implement, and you will get that in this session.
- Can you describe one actionable takeaway from your talk that attendees will leave with and be able to implement into their digital strategy right away?
Attendees will leave with the tactics needed to turn a data-driven test around in 72 hours.
- Are there any sessions you are hoping to attend while you’re at SMX?
Leslie To, my colleague, is speaking twice at SMX Advanced, which must mean she did a pretty great job at SMX West! Our sessions at SMX West overlapped last time, so I wasn’t able to watch her presentation, but I’m definitely going to try and see one of hers this time around. You can see what time she’s speaking here.
- What is one thing you’d like to do in Seattle before you leave?
Dale Chihuly is one of my favorite artists of all time. He has revolutionized glass blowing over the past few decades. I always try to stop into his museum next to the space needle when I am in town. Also, if I have time the Experience Music Project is awesome. If time permits, those are my go-to’s.
If you’re attending SMX Advanced, we hope you’ll come see our sessions. If you can’t attend SMX, connect with one of our experts to learn how the 3Q team can enhance and optimize your digital marketing efforts.