As it’s Thanksgiving week, it’s time to give thanks to some of the technology that makes life easier for SEMs. I’ve come up with my top-10 list, and I’d love to get suggestions for any tools or tricks that I left off. Note: the list is in no particular order, other than how they came into my brain. Enjoy!
1. DigDB: I’ve used this little Excel macro for about seven years now, and I still love it. It’s basically a series of pivot table functionality on steroids. Oh, and it was invented by PPC Associates’ co-founder Will Lin!
2. AdWords Editor: It’s hard to remember life before AdWords Editor. If you want to try to recreate the past, just try to upload a couple of thousand keywords across numerous ad groups through the AdWords online UI – call me in 2013 when you are finished!
3. 4Delite: As the convergence of search and display intensifies, SEMs need to be able to quickly create quality display ads for GDN and beyond. 4Delite gives non-programmers the ability to create animated banner ads that actually look pretty good (and are compliant with AdWords banner specs) in seconds!
4. Moat: Along the same lines as 4Delite – Moat is a great tool to see what your competitors are doing in the world of display ads.
5. SpyFu Kombat: SpyFu Kombat shows you a Venn diagram of your keywords vis-à-vis up to two competitors. You can also see comparisons of budget and organic traffic.
6. Campaign Management Software: Whether you use Marin Software, SearchForce, Kenshoo, or any of the other great campaign management tools out there, most SEMs these days use some form of software to improve workflow efficiency and managing bidding on a large scale.
7. DoubleClick Ad Planner: I like using Ad Planner to research competitors as well as identify possible placements upon which to advertise on GDN.
8. Freshbooks: Freshbooks is not going to help you actually manage your SEM, but if you run an agency and you have to bill your clients monthly, Freshbooks is an absolute God-send.
9. EchoSign: Again, this isn’t a tool for SEM per se, but it is the ultimate tool for signing contracts online and very quickly. Oh, and EchoSign is a client of PPC Associates – even more reason to love them!
10. SalesForce: I just started using SalesForce to manage all of my contacts and sales, and I’m starting to become a convert. And if you have clients using SalesForce, make sure to get them to install the Google AdWords App for SalesForce, and you can get completed form information from a PPC campaign sent right into SalesForce!
– Questions? Comments? Email us at blog at ppcassociates dot com.